Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Victory!

I am a fan of Stephenie Meyer. There. I said it. I have read all of the books in the Twilight series and found them entertaining. So when I discovered she would be at a book discussion/signing right near my home, I thought I'd like to go. All I had to do was buy a ticket to the event along with a book at the Borders bookstore in Provo. Easy enough.

Or so I thought until I called the store and learned that:
1. Tickets and books were going on sale at 8 a.m. May 6 (today).
2. The store had 500 tickets to sale. No more no less.
3. The store would not limit the number of tickets purchased by an individual . . . as long it accompanied a book.
4. People were coming from all over to buy tickets.
5. Borders Bookstore employees expected long lines outside the door long before 8 a.m. May 6.

Even though the odds were against me, I decided to try to buy a ticket. What is the worst that could happen? I spend a few minutes in line only to be turned away. I could still buy a book and have a good read. I decided it was worth a try. If I was sucessful, I would call it my Mother's Day gift. Bill thought that was a great idea.

So I dropped the older children off at school and headed to Provo. Ellie Brianna and I arrived at approximately 8:10 a.m. and stood at the end line behind about 200 people. Some of whom were putting away tents and rolling up sleeping bags.

We waited patiently for about an hour (aiming dirty looks at people who came out with more than two books - especially the 11-year-old girl who drove by sticking out of the sun roof holding her book high, yelling in triumph. Show off. I hope the book gives her nightmares) when the news came down the line "only 100 tickets left".

I considered packing my freezing little girls back in to the car and giving up. Listening to Stephenie Meyers would surely be a great way to spend an evening, but she will surely write more books and I can try again during the next book tour. I am not as die hard a fan as the woman who's license plate read "TWILIGHT". But since I had waited that long, I thought I would at least get a book if I couldn't get a ticket.

As the title of this blog suggests, I got both a book and ticket. In fact I got tickets #480 and #481 out of the 500 tickets available. (I don't want to go alone. My friend Marianne said she would go with me and she wanted a book wether or not I got event tickets.) I am very happy about my luck today. Happy Mother's Day to me!


I have just started to read the book, I know a great deal of it takes place in the Sonoran Desert (a.k.a Tucson) reading it may asuage my Arizona "homesickness". It is her first novel targeted for adults. The premise is very intriguing to me. I will most likely post my opinion of it. Anyone want to read it and discuss it with me?

1 comment:

Hilary said...

Yes, I plan on buying it this afternoon and reading it. Congratulations on your coup! Tell me all bout the event.